My previous DIY tutorial for a leather-bound notebook continues to be one of my most-viewed projects (thanks to everyone who’s reading!) – so I thought I’d follow it up with another leather notebook DIY. This one’s a bit simpler, as it starts with a pre-made notebook and just involves customising it.
What you’ll need
- A leather notebook (or faux leather)
- Leather awl
- Waxed thread
What to do
- Choose what you’re going to write or draw. Initials? A quote? Geometric patterns?
- Sketch the shape onto the notebook, by making faint dots spaced approximately 1cm apart
- When you’re happy with the design, punch holes through the faint dots using an awl
- Feed the waxed thread through the holes, one by one until the pattern is complete
- Tie off any loose ends on the inside of the notebook
This a pretty simple, but satisfyingly effective, way to personalise a plain notebook. It would make a great gift, or just something a little quirky to use at work!