DIY leather bound notebook | The Crafty Gentleman

DIY leather bound notebook | The Crafty Gentleman DIY leather bound notebook | The Crafty Gentleman DIY leather bound notebook | The Crafty GentlemanWhat is more timeless and classic than a leather-bound journal?! Perfect for business, as a gift or even just as a scribble pad to keep at home, they’re a really useful way to organise your life in true gentlemanly style! In this tutorial, I will show you how to make a pocket-sized leather-bound journal, complete with decorative inner lining to personalise it to your own tastes. I made this journal for about £6, including the leather and the awl (which I got from Amazon) – so there’s no excuse not to give this a try!

DIY leather bound notebook | The Crafty Gentleman

How to make a DIY leather bound notebook

Supplies and tools

• Soft leather
  • Leather awl
  • Decorative paper
  • Waxed linen thread
  • Rotary cutter or good scissors
  • Self-healing rubber mat
  • Fabric glue
  • Paper for the pages

What to do

Making the cover

1. Using a rotary cutter (or good scissors), cut out a strip of leather measuring 27cm x 12cm. Try to cut this as neatly as possible, with clean lines and sharp corners.
  2. Cut a similar strip out of your chosen decorative paper (I used a map of the British Isles, but you can use anything you like!)
  3. Using a suitable fabric glue, stick the decorative paper to the inside of the leather strip. Leave this to dry under a stack of heavy books for at least 24 hours (ensure that it doesn’t stick to the books by first placing a piece of cling film over the top).

Making the pages

1. Cut out 18 pieces of paper, each measuring 12 cm x 17 cm
  2. Arrange these into 3 stacks of 6 pages each.
  3. Fold each of these stacks in half, keeping all of the pages in the stack carefully aligned. Use a blunt knife to enforce the crease.

Compiling the journal

1. If the leather/paper cover has completely dried, use an awl to make 6 holes in it, as shown by the red marks in the diagram below. These should be approximately 3 cm from the top edge and 3 cm from the bottom edge.
  2. Similarly, make two holes in the centre of each of the previously prepared stacks of pages. The holes should be along the crease and should line up with the holes made in the cover.
  3. Finally, tie the pages to the cover by carefully feeding a length of waxed linen thread through the holes.

DIY leather bound notebook | The Crafty GentlemanA DIY leather bound notebook like this would make a pretty good gift, don’t you think? You could even make a set of mini notebooks and tie them together with twine! After all, you can NEVER have too many places to doodle and make lists! :) – Mike.

Don’t forget to Pin this image, so you can make it later:

DIY leather bound notebook | The Crafty Gentleman

Written by Mike
Mike is the owner and founder of The Crafty Gentleman, a website aimed at encouraging men into the world of crafts. He loves nothing more than an afternoon spent crafting, with a cup of tea and some good tunes in the background.

17 Comments

1. Anna N December 21, 2015 at 3:40 pm Reply

What kind of/brand of fabric glue did you use? I’m worried about the glue drying out and cracking the paper so I’m also curious how the journal has held up. Thanks!

• The Crafty Gentleman December 23, 2015 at 10:26 am Reply

I used a thin layer of PVA glue – it’s perfect for paper! Just don’t apply too much, or it may wrinkle. Good luck!

2. Sharon May 28, 2015 at 12:56 am Reply

would you show the order in which you thread the holes and how you tied it off

• The Crafty Gentleman May 31, 2015 at 4:19 pm Reply

Hi Sharon. All you need to do is tie three loops of thread – have a look in the first picture, where you can see the spine of the journal. I threaded through one of the top holes, then down the spine and back through the bottom hole, then tied a knot. I repeated this two more times (for the other two pairs of holes). The knots are inside the notebook, so you can’t see them.

3. Shirley December 7, 2014 at 11:59 am Reply

What a great tutorial. I have some faux leather in my sewing room that I’m going to try this out on! Thanks!

• The Crafty Gentleman December 7, 2014 at 5:13 pm Reply

You’re welcome! Great to hear that this has inspired you. I’d love kt see a picture of your leather journal, when you’ve made it! :)

4. Ben KARLIN December 7, 2014 at 12:11 am Reply

Mike, thanks so much for the idea and help. I feel like a dunce for asking but evidently am more easily confused than most: Where do the 4 holes go through the paper stacks as compared with the 2 holes through the leather? And how do you tie them in, I mean, is there a way to bury the ends of the waxed linen thread so curious fingers don’t untie it and take everything apart?

Thanks for your patience, too!

• The Crafty Gentleman December 7, 2014 at 5:12 pm Reply

No problem! What to need to do it make six holes in the leather (as shown in the diagram with red spots). Then take one of your paper stacks and make two holes along the centre crease. These should be a few cm from the top and a few cm from the bottom, so that they line up perfectly with the lines of holes you made in the leather. If you repeat this for each paper stack, you will have three paper stacks, each with two holes, making six holes in total – that line up with the six holes in the leather. Does that help clarify it? Sorry for any confusion!! With regards to tying it, I tied it in in the centre, so the knot is concealed when the journal is closed. If you tie it tightly, there’s no reason it should loosen. :) I hope this helps!

5. Kate December 6, 2014 at 7:58 pm Reply

WHERE do you buy the leather???

• The Crafty Gentleman December 6, 2014 at 8:17 pm Reply

I got mine from eBay! I also often see leather offcuts in fabric markets and some of the larger craft shops.

6. April October 5, 2013 at 3:01 pm Reply

want to try this! thanks for the tutorial & pics. yours looks awesome. great idea to put the map! what is leather awl, though? is it necessary or can I do without it?

• The Crafty Gentleman October 5, 2013 at 10:25 pm Reply

Glad you enjoyed this tutorial! :) a leather awl is a tool used to make holes in leather – you can buy them very cheaply on eBay. They aren’t essential (you may be able to use a sharp knife if you’re careful), but they’re super useful! Let me know how it goes if you do give it a go!! :)

• Kate December 6, 2014 at 7:58 pm Reply

you could use a sewing stiletto, too, easier to come by in a hurry at a quilt shop or maybe Joanne’s