Basket weave knitted cushion

Basket weave knitted cushion

A few weeks back, I told the story of my first ever attempt at knitting (read it in this post). Well, I reached a bit of a crafting landmark today… I completed my first ever knitting project!

I made a basic cushion cover, with a simple knit pattern on the back and a more complex basket weave design on the front. I used a speckled beige wool, finished off with a bright blue tweed covered button. What do you think? I think it looks alright for a first attempt!

Basket weave knitted cushion

Basket weave knitted cushionI didn’t really follow a pattern at first, as it was more a chance for me to learn the basics – remember, I had never so much as cast on before making this. However, as I began to build up a decent length of knitted yarn, I thought I might as well put it to use. I thought a cushion cover seemed a good project to try; practical, but pretty simple. Perfect!

It wasn’t too long before I’d got the hang of the basic knit stitch, so I went a bit more daring by mixing it up with a purl stitch, to create the basket weave you can see in the pictures. I am SO HAPPY that it worked! I can’t wait to apply this pattern to something else (hopefully a jumper isn’t too far away). You can get the pattern for my basket weave knit cushion below.

DIY basket weave cushion cover easy knit pattern

1. Cast on 38 stitches
  2. K1 for 42 rows
  3. On the 43rd row: K7, P6, K6, P6, K6, P6, K1
  4. Repeat step 3 for a further 7 rows
  5. On the next row: K1, P6, K6, P6, K6, P6, K7
  6. Repeat step 5 for a further 7 rows
  7. Repeat steps 3 – 6 another 2 times, to form 6 by 6 basket weave
  8. K1 for 16 rows and cast off
  9. With a hand needle, sew the edges together to form the cushion

Don’t get me wrong, I definitely made a few mistakes along the way… I highlighted a few of them in the first post, and there have been a few more since then! The main things were dropping the occasional stitch, plus I messed up the counting in the basket weave once or twice (too busy talking or watching TV at the same time, whoops). But hey, for my first attempt I was fully expecting a few mess ups!

Now I’ve learnt this brand new craft technique, I’m kicking myself for not trying it sooner! However, now I’ve got the basic skills, I’m already eyeing up a load of new projects… I’ll be sure to share them all on my blog, watch this space! – Mike.

If you’re interested in knitting, make sure you read my blog post all about the surprisingly manly history of knitting. It’s a must read for any knitter – who knew the history of this craft technique was so incredible?! Click here to learn more.

Basket weave knitted cushion

P.S. You can see my handmade tweed patchwork cushion in these pictures too, check out the tutorial for it here.

Written by Mike
Mike is the owner and founder of The Crafty Gentleman, a website aimed at encouraging men into the world of crafts. He loves nothing more than an afternoon spent crafting, with a cup of tea and some good tunes in the background.

50 Comments

1. Megan Hartman April 14, 2016 at 7:53 pm Reply

Hi,
    I was just wondering what type of yarn you used and what size knitting needles?

• The Crafty Gentleman April 15, 2016 at 12:55 pm Reply

Hi Megan! I used 6mm needles and approx 100-150g (200m) of woollen yarn. I wasn’t actually expecting this to work so well, so I didn’t take detailed notes when making it unfortunately… but I hope this helps!

2. Helen Baikie December 1, 2015 at 7:42 pm Reply

Great pattern Mike so easy to follow. I have extended it to fit larger cushions.

• The Crafty Gentleman December 3, 2015 at 3:25 pm Reply

Thanks so much!! Since this is the first knitting pattern I’ve created myself, it’s great to hear that you found it easy to follow and have even given it a go! :)

• Anonymous April 29, 2016 at 3:09 pm Reply

Hi Mike, I used your pattern as inspiration for a cushion with a knitted centre, crocheted border and checked fabric on the reverse, I’m very pleased with it, Thank you

• The Crafty Gentleman April 30, 2016 at 10:40 am Reply

That sounds great!! I’m really glad you found inspiration in my project – thanks for letting me know :)

• Terry December 24, 2016 at 6:11 pm Reply

Helen, could you give the pattern for how you extended the current pattern. I want to make to fir 26″ X 26″ (Euro Pillow)..thanks

3. Malorie November 25, 2015 at 4:27 am Reply

This is adorable, I’m going to try it as a gift for my boss! How big does the finished product measure? From your pictures it looks like a small pillow and I wanted to know what size form I needed to get. Thanks!

• The Crafty Gentleman December 1, 2015 at 5:28 pm Reply

Thanks Malorie! It measures approx 30 x 30cm. It might be best to buy some pillow stuffing (rather than an insert), that way you can fill it to whatever size it comes out as?

• Malorie December 2, 2015 at 1:25 am Reply

Thank you! This helps me a lot. Looking forward to making this and seeing how it turns out!!

• The Crafty Gentleman December 5, 2015 at 7:51 pm Reply

Good luck – let me know how you get on!

• Malorie December 8, 2015 at 7:27 pm

It came out really nice! I forgot about the button you put into yours and since I don’t know how to make a button hole in knitting quite yet, I just sewed the two ends together for this particular one. Next time I might add the 16 knitted rows onto the end of the 42 so my seam doesn’t end up on the back of my work. This is a very simple, quick beginner pattern!! Thank you!

• The Crafty Gentleman December 8, 2015 at 7:47 pm

Great to hear that it worked out well!! :)

4. Kristen October 14, 2015 at 2:05 am Reply

Seriously impressed that you made this pattern up and jumped right in to create this super cute (I meant, super cute in a manly sense) pillow! I’m looking for Christmas present ideas and this one just might suit perfectly! I am a novice knitter, so totally keen on easy projects that look great. Good job!!!

5. Amy August 30, 2015 at 1:23 am Reply

I’m so impressed mike! I am so going to make this for my next project (I’m half way through a very long scarf at the moment…)

• The Crafty Gentleman August 31, 2015 at 4:38 pm Reply

Ahh thanks Amy! I’m so glad I finally forced myself on the uphill battle that is learning to knit – now I’m used to the basics, I’m really enjoying it. My current project is a skinny tie, with a striped pattern. It’s slow going, but I’m getting there!

6. alison June 9, 2015 at 9:38 pm Reply

looks fantastic can’t wait to knit this how much wool did you use please?

• The Crafty Gentleman June 10, 2015 at 11:48 am Reply

Thanks Alison! I used approx 100-150g (approx 200m) of yarn – I wasn’t expecting this to work so well, so I didn’t take notes when I first started the pattern unfortunately! Hope this helps though.

7. Lauren April 28, 2015 at 1:13 pm Reply

This is just the pattern I needed! I have just finished a beautiful ( though I say it myself! ) Afghan throw in a gorgeous Charles Brett Chunky yarn ( three strands together ) as a present for my sister. Even after finishing the tassels around the edges I still have a single ball left. I had been wondering what to do with it.

This is just the accessory as the throw is for her sofa and I know that she will love it. Guess what I will be doing for the next couple of hours ??? All I need is a nice chunky button and that’s the first of my Christmas pressies sorted for this year.

• The Crafty Gentleman May 3, 2015 at 8:40 am Reply

Oh wow that sounds amazing! I’m glad I’ve inspired you to use us the last of your yarn on my pattern. Also – the first of your Christmas presents? That’s VERY organised, wow!

8. Val Grimes April 16, 2015 at 8:44 pm Reply

I found your page by accident. I had a great time reading. I have just the yarn for the basket weave pillow. I have been making knitting projects for my sisters and wanted to make something my daughter-in-law could use. They live in high desert country in California. Can’t wait to read new blogs.

9. Chastity Reyment April 13, 2015 at 1:13 pm Reply

Hi Mike I am going to try the pattern for the cushion cover just wondering what size needles you used?

• The Crafty Gentleman April 13, 2015 at 3:53 pm Reply

I’m glad you like the pattern enough to try it, Chastity! I used 6mm needles – hope this helps.

10. kate April 10, 2015 at 6:06 pm Reply

Mike-Great job on the knit cushion! Cant wait to see what you do next…started to note a knitting in history sideline but noticed Cynthia had already done so; it really is a fascinating history that goes way back! Your web site is the best! Thanks for sharing.

• The Crafty Gentleman April 12, 2015 at 9:36 am Reply

I totally agree, the history of knitting seems really interesting. I’m planning in writing a blog post all about it soon, I can’t wait to do some proper research on it! Thanks so much for the kind words, I’m so happy you like my site!

11. Arlene April 10, 2015 at 5:14 pm Reply

Love your logo Mike!Keep up the good work. Try a blanket or throw to match. They are easy…..then send us your pattern….deal???

• The Crafty Gentleman April 12, 2015 at 9:34 am Reply

Haha sounds like a good deal to me! I’ve got lots of knitted projects already planned, but I’ll defo try a knitted blanket after I’ve done them – thanks for the idea!

12. LeAnne April 10, 2015 at 3:34 pm Reply

LOVE this! Great job, can’t wait to see future projects!

• The Crafty Gentleman April 12, 2015 at 9:31 am Reply

Thank you so much LeAnne! I’ve got a few more knitted projects already planned, so make sure you check back (or you can subscribe via email at the link on the side) so you don’t miss them!

13. Jackie Richardson April 10, 2015 at 2:07 pm Reply

Good for you! Don’t worry about mistakes, even seasoned knitters make mistakes. I started knitting at age 15,I am 65 now and still love it. For me it is zen like, and then you have something to show for your “calm” time. My family made a list of stuff they saw and want me to knit. I love that it has become so popular! Start thinking of gifts for holidays now and just try all kinds of stuff…have fun!

• The Crafty Gentleman April 12, 2015 at 9:29 am Reply

Thanks Jacki, good to hear that I’m not alone in making a few mistakes! I know exactly what you mean about having something to show for your “calm” time – I like to be busy and productive, so knitting is a great way to force myself to relax, but still get something useful done at the same time!

14. Carol April 10, 2015 at 1:55 pm Reply

Did you mention what size needle you used? I have a knitter who it legally blind-has made 27 afghans (she uses markers to let her know where she is in the pattern) and she has lots of bulky yarn left over. This would be perfect for her to knit.
    Thanks!

• The Crafty Gentleman April 12, 2015 at 8:40 pm Reply

Wow, that’s incredible! Your friend sounds like a very skilled knitter, if she can manage it without sight. Very impressive! I used 6mm needles for my cushion – hope this helps.

15. Deb March 20, 2015 at 1:04 pm Reply

Great job Mike! Thanks for sharing. Keep up the great ideas!!!

16. Ginny March 19, 2015 at 9:13 pm Reply

Nice job Mike. I’m also very new to knitting. Like you, I had to challenge myself. I am making a sweater. Probably should have started with a scarf…but what the hay, having fun figuring it out.

• The Crafty Gentleman March 20, 2015 at 12:19 pm Reply

Hi Ginny! Sounds brilliant, I love that you’ve gone straight in there with knitting a sweater! I hope it goes well.

17. Denise d'Entremont March 19, 2015 at 8:30 pm Reply

What size pillow do you put this on & how?

• The Crafty Gentleman March 20, 2015 at 12:24 pm Reply

Hi Denise. I made a simple cushion insert from some scrap cotton and some wadding. It measures approx. 25cm x 25cm. To put the cover on, you just need to fold the knitted piece in on itself, outside facing in, leaving a small overhang. Wrap this overhang around the back, so it creates a small opening, then then hand-sew around the edges with a large eye needle and some yarn. Turn the cover inside out, through the hole created by the small overhang, then insert the cushion. Hope this is useful!

18. Cynthia March 19, 2015 at 3:39 pm Reply

I’m glad you have taken up knitting! I’ve been doing it for a few years now and love it. I’m going to make a version of your pillow for my sofa over the weekend.

Your comment about not trying knitting because it was a traditionally feminine craft caught my eye. I thought so too, but as I’ve learned more about the craft, yarn, fibers, etc., I’ve learned it was initially a gentleman’s craft/occupation. There are some interesting knitting facts on the randomhistory.com website that may surprise you.

Thank you for sharing your pattern!

• The Crafty Gentleman March 20, 2015 at 12:26 pm Reply

Hi Cynthia! Great to hear that you’ll be trying my pattern, it’s the first pattern I’ve ever written (and the first thing I’ve ever knitted!) – so this is really encouraging to hear.
      I’m really interested in your comment about knitting originally being a gentleman’s craft – I will definitely look into that a little more, thank you for pointing this out!

19. k March 7, 2015 at 11:27 pm Reply

For step 2, had you meant knit for 42 rows?

• The Crafty Gentleman March 8, 2015 at 8:40 am Reply

Yes you’re right, my mistake! I’ve amended the pattern now. (Can you tell that I’m new to knitting?!). Thanks for pointing that out!

• Karen March 19, 2015 at 11:18 pm Reply

Step 2 still reads K1 for 42 rows??? correction??

• The Crafty Gentleman March 20, 2015 at 12:18 pm Reply

Hi Karen! I mean that, for the first 42 rows, you should knit in a basic knit stitch – this creates the reverse of the cushion, which does not feature the basket weave pattern. Hope this helps!

20. Aryl February 28, 2015 at 9:03 pm Reply

Love it…going to try it….