IMG_4908.JPG

DIY Hair Pomade

I’ve had the idea of creating my own hair pomade in the back of my mind for a while now… and I’ve finally found a chance to give it a go!

Traditionally, hair pomade differs from hair wax in that it gives a more slick and shiny appearance. Just think of the classic slicked back hair styles of the 1950s (or the somewhat more wacky ducktail, pompadour and quiff!) – these looks were commonly achieved with hair pomade brands such as Bryllcreem and Murrays. Whilst the past few decades have seen them losing popularity, there has recently been a resurgence in interest. So stay one step ahead of the trend and give this (really easy!) DIY hair pomade a go.

DIY Hair Pomade

What you’ll need

• 10 teaspoons pure beeswax
  • 10 teaspoons pure coconut oil
  • 10 drops essential oil
  • A double boiler
  • A clean tin (or other container)

What to do

1. Cut up the beeswax and melt in a double boiler (you can make a DIY double boiler by placing a heatproof dish into a large pan of water and placing onto a hot hob)
  2. Add the coconut oil and the essential oil (I used ‘Chinese Musk’, but more common scents such as peppermint or lavender work well too)
  3. Stir the mixture with a metal spoon, until it’s all fully melted and well dispersed
  4. Carefully pour the mixture into a clean, dry container and leave to cool for at least 3 hours at room temperature
  5. To use the hair pomade, just rub a pea sized amount between your fingers to soften it, then apply to your hair as normal

I can’t believe how quick and rewarding this was – I don’t think I’ll ever need shop-bought hair product again! Feel free to experiment with different ingredient ratios and different scents to find the recipe that works best for your hair.

So what do you think? Has this inspired you to channel your inner Don Draper and give DIY hair pomade a go? Let me know in the comments below!

DIY Hair PomadeDIY Hair Pomade

DIY Hair Pomade

DIY Hair PomadeDIY Hair Pomade

DIY Hair PomadeDIY Hair Pomade

DIY Hair Pomade

Written by Mike
Mike is the owner and founder of The Crafty Gentleman, a website aimed at encouraging men into the world of crafts. He loves nothing more than an afternoon spent crafting, with a cup of tea and some good tunes in the background.

12 Comments

1. Irene November 23, 2016 at 12:26 pm Reply

What is the best way to store the pomade? In the fridge or just keep in it a dry, cool place like a medicine cabinet? I’d like to make this for my dad and would like to know. Thanks!

• Mike November 27, 2016 at 9:24 pm Reply

It would make a great gift for Dad! :) I simply store mine in the bathroom cabinet, nothing special. Definitely doesn’t need to be kept in the fridge.

2. GABRIEL MARTINEZ August 19, 2016 at 1:55 pm Reply

Hola, te escribo desde Uruguay, estaría bueno ver fotos de como queda aplicada esta cera, si el efecto es seco, húmedo, grasoso, etc

3. Callahan Barbers February 1, 2016 at 1:54 pm Reply

Hey, do u have any idea if I can use a different oil in place of the coconut oil??… Like jojoba or sweet almond oil? Just curious . Thank’s so much

• The Crafty Gentleman February 6, 2016 at 8:49 am Reply

Hey! I’ve never tried using other oils – I find coconut oil is perfect for this (easy to find, cheap, easy to work with and gives a great end result), but I’m pretty sure those other oils would work too. It’s worth having a go and seeing which one you prefer!

4. Ahmed January 21, 2016 at 10:46 am Reply

Is it possible to add in pure honey for more nourishment into this mix. And how do I give it a stronger hold? I have thick hair, I tried the equal proportion, but its not enough to hold my hair. I’m not sure how much more beeswax I should add? Help please.

• The Crafty Gentleman January 30, 2016 at 9:43 am Reply

Hi Ahmed! I’ve never tried using pure honey, although I think it is possible – but I would only use a very small amount to prevent it going too sticky. To give it a stronger hold, just up the ratio of beeswax. It’s a little bit trial-and-error until you get the perfect mix, I’m afraid! But you can easily melt it down and add a little more to it, so you don’t end up wasting anything :) I hope this helps!

5. The Art of Shaving August 13, 2015 at 4:57 pm Reply

This sounds like a great recipe for hair pomade! Other essential oils you could try are sandalwood and lemon. They are great scents to wear as well. Thanks for sharing!

• The Crafty Gentleman August 16, 2015 at 4:26 pm Reply

I love sandalwood, so good call at using it in a pomade! When this batch runs out, I might give it a try… Glad you enjoyed the post!